4 Bradford Street Condominium, Building 1 (Units 1 and 2)
4 Bradford Street Condominium, Building 1. [2021, Dunlap]
4 Bradford Street when it was owned and occupied by the Kacergis family. The building was subsequently renovated to a state closer to the 19th century. [2011, Dunlap]
During the renovation. [2013, Dunlap]
The rear facade, as it appeared during renovation. [2014, Dunlap]
The rear facade, as it appeared after renovation. [2021, Dunlap]
The woodpecker on the downspout was crafted by Clarence Kacergis. It once adorned the lamppost. [2017, Daniel H. Squire]
Members of the Kacergis family could keep an eye on their Provincetown Welding Works by peering from the windows of the house at 4 Bradford Street, built in 1875 in Italianate-Second Empire style. This house was acquired in 1964 by gifted and inventive metalworker Clarence Casimir Kacergis (1916-2012) and his wife, Matilda Alice “Tillie” (Jackett) Kacergis (1917-2005). Tillie was the daughter of Anton and Mary Jackett, née Mayo. The Kacergises also operated Tillie’s Cottages.
The Second Empire part of the house was rebuilt after a fire in 1920, according to the Provincetown Historic Survey. The family sold the lot in 2013. The next year, Kenneth S. Johnson of Melrose created the 4 Bradford Street Condominium, which has three units; two in this house and one in a smaller house nearby.
“The house was restored to look like the original 19th-century home,” said Daniel H. Squire of Washington, who has owned one of the units in the condo since 2014. “Clarence Kacergis created the boat and the lantern. And the woodpecker on the downspout! Plus the three gates.”1
¶ Last updated on 17 November 2022.
1 Comment on the Building Provincetown website, 7 December 2017; follow-up email to the author, 10 December 2017.
• Clarence Casimir Kacergis (1916-2012)
Find a Grave Memorial No. 149641188.
• Matilda Alice “Tillie” (Jackett) Kacergis (1917-2005)
Find a Grave Memorial No. 149641283.
4 Bradford Street on the Town Map, showing property lines.