Macara Family Condominium, Building 2
Building 2 at 35 Alden Street. [2008, Dunlap]
The brothers Richard M. “Ricky” Macara and Peter J. Macara — nephews of Joseph E. Macara, the founder of Land’s End Marine Supply — share this L-shaped parcel bordering the new section of the Town Cemetery. The property was converted by the Macaras to a condominium regime in 1986. Ricky owns the main house (Building 1), which dates from around 1850. He was the founder in 1983 of the Mercedes Cab Company, a fleet composed entirely of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Peter owns the more contemporary cottage in the rear (Building 3). He is the artist responsible for the 48-foot-long panorama mural at Land’s End, 337 Commercial Street. The garage (Building 2) was constructed by George P. Hann, who used it for his repair shop, George’s TV Service, which operated in the 1960s, and has been more recently the home of Ricky’s cab service. The artist Polly Burnell made her home at 35 Alden for a time.
The green shows how the new section of Town Cemetery encompasses the L-shaped 35 Alden Street parcel. [Town Map]
35 Alden Street on the Town Map.
Also at this address
• Building 1.
¶ Last updated 28 October 2012.