Former Far Out shop | Alternately 596A Commercial Street
289 Bradford Street. [2013, Dunlap]
The little Greek Revival building that will one day be moved to 289 Bradford Street is shown in white on this early 20th century view. The double-height front porch of the Crown & Anchor is across Commercial Street. [Moffett Collection / Provincetown History Preservation Project Page 1000]
The front facade. [2011, Dunlap]
Text last updated on 29 October 2013 | Nothing stands still in Provincetown; not even the buildings. This Greek Revival-style cottage once occupied a prime downtown lot at Union Square, across from the Crown & Anchor. You can see it, in profile, at right in the old photo. In its downtown days at 234 Commercial, before being moved here, the building was used by a florist (Austin of Wellfleet), a doctor’s office (Thomas F. Perry, M.D.), a candy and fudge store (Barrett’s), a jeweler (Cape Rock), and the Far Out shop, which was painted in bold bands of red, white, and blue. Susan Leonard also recalled a tenant — perhaps Gary Milek or Robert Olmstead — who did a booming business carving Easter Island-inspired tiki pendants.
¶ Republished on 28 October 2023.
289 Bradford Street (596A Commercial Street) on the Town Map, showing property lines.