Former Long Point Post Office
256 Bradford Street. [2012, Dunlap]
Herman Maril’s plan for expanding his house. It was built almost exactly along these lines. [2012, Dunlap]
David Maril at home in 256 Bradford. [2012, Dunlap]
Text last updated in 2015 | The most important surviving civic building from Long Point, its post office, was built around 1830. What we see from the street was originally the rear of the structure. The original facade of the structure — pictured — can be seen from inside the house. Its distinguished second life was as the studio of the painter Herman Maril (1908-1986), whose work was championed by the collector Duncan Phillips. Maril, a professor at the University of Maryland, acquired this property in 1958. Working with the artist Chester Pfeiffer, he added a second-floor studio a year later, with north-facing windows, extending over a patio. Maril, Karl Knaths and Milton Avery collegially exchanged studio visits every summer. He died in 1986. His wife, Esta, a children’s psychiatric social worker, died in 2009. Their son David, a newspaperman and president of the Herman Maril Foundation, owns, uses, and cherishes the house. The studio is virtually untouched.
¶ Republished on 15 October 2023.
256 Bradford Street on the Town Map, showing property lines.