Gulf Oil gas station
Gulf Oil gas station. [2011, Dunlap]
Gulf Oil Gas Station in 1977. [Scrapbooks of Althea Boxell 3:69 / Dowd Collection / Provincetown History Preservation Project Page 852]
Cupola in 2012 and 2011. [Dunlap]
Text last updated on 11 January 2020 | The Bradford-Standish intersection is downtown Provincetown’s utilitarian heart: two service stations (with convenience stores attached) and a former garage and car dealership. Like many old Gulf installations, the Gulf Oil Gas Station at 130 Bradford Street has a Colonial Revival motif. Hubert and Laura Summers owned this property until 1958 and ran a popular restaurant, It’s Hubert’s, which also doubled as the Provincetown bus terminal. They sold the parcel to Gulf Oil. Marcey’s Service Station soon opened, under Edward “Marcey” Salvador, whose name is still commemorated in the oil company. Salvador sold the gas station to James J. Cordeiro, who turned it over to his son Neil Cordeiro to run. It was known then as Neil’s Gulf Service Station. Kenneth Atkins, of 9 Alden Street, was a longtime employee. The property was acquired in 1984 by VSH Realty. For some years, Cumberland Farms ran the convenience store here, so it’s not uncommon to hear Provincetowners speak of the corner of Bradford and Standish as Cumbie’s.
¶ Republished on 20 September 2023.
130 Bradford Street on the Town Map, showing property lines.