Fishermen’s Market, 1969. [Helen Valentine Collection / Provincetown History Preservation Project Page 4996]
Text last updated on 13 January 2020 | One of the stars in the firmament of independent neighborhood grocers of the mid-20th century was Fishermen’s Market, run from the 1930s at least through the late 1960s by Joseph A. Marshall (1894-1968) and Emma Louise (Smith) Marshall (1893-1980). Their experiences here included a wartime turkey shortage in 1943 that cut deliveries of the Thanksgiving bird by 80 percent. They also owned and rented out a house and two cottages at 153 Commercial Street known as the Marshall apartments and the Marshall cottages. The market building on Bradford Street is no longer standing.
¶ Republished on 19 September 2023.
128 Bradford Street on the Town Map, showing property lines.